Andes Hunting Tavern Museum
The Andes Hunting Tavern is a spacious, two-level gray clapboard structure built in the 1820s, and had nothing to do with hunting – a popular misconception. The building was named after the Hunting family who purchased it in 1838, operating it as both a tavern and hotel. The Delaware-Esopus Turnpike, now Andes’ Main Street, provided the tavern with steady business. The stagecoach stopped there three times a week, carrying weary travelers in need of respite, and mail that villagers picked up at the tavern. More than a century and a half later, the Gladstone family – Walter, his wife Patricia and Edna Gladstone Benedict – gifted the tavern to the ASHC. A dedication ceremony, held in 1999, marked the official opening of the Hunting Tavern as a museum and as a venue for cultural events. Currently the East Branch Plein Air Painters are showing their works in the museum gallery.
The Parthenia Davis Gift Shop offers a variety of publications by local authors as well as Hunting Tavern Souvenirs. The Tavern is open for tours every Saturday, Memorial Day through Columbus Day from 10-3.
For more information, visit their website.