Ask a Local-Liz Callahan, Hanford Mills Museum
Liz Callahan is the Executive Director of Hanford Mills Museum in East Meredith, New York.
The mill’s authentic and extensively documented site inspires the museum’s unique interpretation and activities. The museum believes that the operation of the mill site is a powerful experience that can be balanced with careful preservation. There are valuable lessons to be learned from agrarian communities.
Hanford Mills Museum features an authentic water- and steam-powered Sawmill with a 1926 Fitz Overshot Waterwheel, restored 19th century water turbine, steam power plant, and vintage woodworking machines. Visit their website to learn about their programming and special events.
We asked Liz to share some of her favorite locations in Delaware County.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of her recommendations or scroll down below to see them all.
Ask a Local
Hanford Mills Museum
51 Co Rd 12
East Meredith, NY 13757
Not To Be Missed at Hanford Mills Museum
• Enjoy the entire Hanford Mills complex of 16 historic buildings including the water wheel turbine, steam power plant, antique fully functioning mill equipment and machinery.
• Making ice-cream at the Hanford House during their Fourth of July festivities each year.
• Experience hands-on activities like the Ice Harvest Festival which takes place every first Saturday of February.
• Fish on the mill pond at Hanford Mills.
• Enjoy the classic annual events like the Antique Jamboree Festival and the Woodmen’s Festival.
Some of Liz’s Favorite Places to Visit in Delaware County
• Authentic well-preserved villages of the area.
• Historic houses and properties like Woodchuck Lodge in Roxbury, the Summertime home of naturalist and nature essayist John Burroughs.
• Hiking trails
• Lakes and rivers for swimming and kayaking.
Liz’s Favorite Things to Do in Delaware County
• Take in a performance at Franklin Stage Company in Franklin, New York.
• Celebrate the agricultural history of the region at the Cauliflower Festival in Margaretville, New York.
• Finding fantastic locally sourced food and goods from farms in Delaware County.
• Experience all four seasons in a beautiful setting.
Suggestion on Where to Stay
694 Harmony Hill Retreat Center
East Meredith, NY 13757
Suggestions on Where to Eat & Drink
454 Delhi Drive
Delhi, NY 13753
8 Winkler Rd
Sidney, NY 13838